Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Short Rant and Carolyn Jones



Today I walked into a vintage store - which shall remain nameless -  with the most outrageous prices I have ever seen in my entire life (and I grew up in Los Angeles)!!! There were moth bitten acrylic 1950's sweaters that would otherwise be crowding the shelves of thrift stores, priced at $150! I walked over to the the lingerie section, and a single pair of 1960's stockings that could be bought in bulk on Ebay were $30 each! Not only were 90% of the pieces in the store completely ordinary and not one-of-a-kind whatsoever, but NOTHING was in great condition! The sad part is, there is a reason why vintage stores - in large cities in particular - can get away with this. Not a single customer in that store knew anything about vintage...or at least, they did not look it. Thanks to the popularity of Mad Men, Katy Perry and the like, every fashion magazine is now telling women that "retro" is back in style. So these women who would normally shop at whatever department or chain stores are currently popular (not that there's anything wrong with that) are now walking into vintage stores ready to pay a pretty penny to look "fashionable". Vintage store owners recognize this, and take every opportunity to up their prices accordingly. Obviously, I fully understand how this would benefit the store owners and that they have every right to adjust their prices according to current demand, but true vintage lovers are being robbed! One can only hope that this fad ends as soon as possible and the price of vintage will go back to normal.


On a side note, an adorable little old lady stopped me in the street today to tell me that I looked like Carolyn Jones (I assume she means Carolyn as Morticia Addams, as I have long black hair and a heart shaped face)...I love little old ladies.

3 comments:

  1. I totally see the resemblance! That little old lady's got a good eye!

    P.S. Thanks Ruby! Congrats on your approaching 100!
    I've actually experimented with that wondering the same thing. I have the page counter on the bottom and i've refreshed the page and it never increases so I don't think so.
    Maybe if you visit it without being signed in.
    I've been showing people your blog so I'm probably a nice chunk of those views :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw... Great match up of image and post topic. :)

    ReplyDelete