Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sick Day and Vintage Advice For A Cold



I had initially planned on doing my first outfit post today, but instead I woke up with a terrible cold! Actually, I think it's a mix of bad allergies and a cold...needless to say, I have been stuck on the couch all day watching bad ghost hunting shows.

Here are two entries I found in a vintage home economics book for "Recipes For Overcoming A Sickness":

Milk Toast
Arrange two slices of toast in a hot dish and pour over them 1 cup hot milk, to which 2 tsp butter and 1/2 tsp salt have been added.


Hot Lemonade
Wash and wipe a lemon. Cut a thin slice from the middle and squeeze the rest into a bowl. Put in 2 tbs sugar or honey, pour on 3/4 cup boiling water, and strain into a cup. Serve with the slice of lemon on top.


I think the milk toast actually sounds delicious....might be trying that later.


Anywhoo, I hope to have a good outfit post within the next day or two (health permitting, of course!)


Always,
Ruby B.

1 comment:

  1. I woke up yesterday with a sore throat! I drank several cups of tea with honey added throughout the day which helped ease my throat. I agree that the milk toast sounds pretty good and if you try it let me know how you like it. As my throat is still pestering me a tiny bit I'm going to hold off on the hot lemonade for now.
    I hope you feel better Ruby!

    ReplyDelete